Monday, October 1, 2012

Trees, Mostly ~ A Colourful Ride

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ash leaves burning in September's flame
Oaks blushing at their own reflection
Aching beauty of rose-red maples

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's a balmy day, clear and about 60º when I set out. The sun is warm and the breeze nippy - very good riding weather.

Last weekend's frosts have kicked autumn colour into gear. Today I can't even make it onto the street without stopping to take a photo:

The ash in our driveway

All the neighbourhood ash trees have turned bright gold, seemingly overnight. They're hightailing it down the road to November, with walnut and maple hard on their trail.

Out of town, I pass a red oak - still mostly green, but spouting bits of flame:


The woods begin to look burnished as the corn bleaches to a pale champagne:


 Wire fences are draped with scarlet creeper.

Hanging on for dear life

I "heart" lichen:


Who can resist autumn colours mirrored in a still lake? (Not this cyclist.)


(It's such a relief to be taking a short ride today. I can stop and can take as many photos as I like!)

This photo is taken without stopping:

Maples bursting into flame

I turn down a road I haven't ridden all year, to be greeted by an avenue of colour. The bright red sumac gives balance to the mixture:


The road rolls up and down and through warm-scented piney woods. A blackbird flits along the verge, his wings showing yellow underneath. A deer, alarmed at my approach, goes crashing through the underbrush.

I stop to take a photo of a dishevelled thistle.


(This is exactly what my hair looks like when I get out of bed in the morning.)

Tall pines stretching towards the sun:


Just a mile out of town, I turn a corner and see this:


A row of maples so beautiful it hurts.


I get off the bike and take photo after photo.


Looking at the reddest maple is like looking into the heart of fire. Can anything really be that red?


Summer and fall side by side.


One last backward-looking shot at sunlight filtering through the glory of glowing leaves...


...then back on the bike and heading for home.

A beautiful ride, and a fitting farewell to September.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

28 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I can feel the breeze on my face and smell the fresh air! I love fall; reading your "color" commentary and seeing seasonal colors through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How quickly it all changes, as the seasons remind us. Such gorgeous photos of the change in season, Sue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very quickly when you have a few nights of frost. But without it we wouldn't get the glorious colour. :)

      Delete
  3. Let's embrace October with all its beautiful colours. Your fall is ahead of ours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embracing! When does your fall colour arrive?

      :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous Autumn colours with you, I remember it being the same last year too. Our trees aren't quite so flamboyant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered why. Perhaps your temperatures don't dip quite as low as ours?

      Thanks Anne. :)

      Delete
  5. Definitely beginning to look properly autumnal. We're not so far on yet. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that rain is delaying things. We could use some over here.

      :)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful ride! The leaves haven't really started to turn here yet, which is just fine with me as it means it's still warm here. Fall is definitely coming, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trena.

      Our weather has warmed up again. We'll see how long it lasts! :)

      Delete
  7. Bittersweet. It seems like the leaves changed overnight and there is no way to deny summer is over and fall is firmly here. It is pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bittersweet is a good word for it. But after this summer, with the heat and drought, I'm kind of glad to see the autumn.

      Delete
  8. Hey Sue, Autumn certainly puts on a wonderful display in your neck of the woods.

    I love this season and all the beautiful colours, they lift my spirits and make my heart fit to burst with the all the surrounding beauty.
    Love the reflections in the lake.....I think if it was me out on the ride, it would definitely turn into a walk as I would be forever stopping to try and capture the seasons' beauty.
    It doesn't seem like all that long ago that I was snapping all the Autumn colour here at home.....

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with you it's spring! What a transition from fall in NYC to spring Down Under.

      Thanks Claire. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow!!! That's about all I can say, to these photos. Just WOW!!!!!!

    And that reflection in lake one is... super WOW. :-)

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Auntie.

      (Still waiting for your real name.) :)

      Delete
  10. So very beautiful! As I sit here at 4:00 pm it is 106 degrees outside. Boo! Sometimes it feels like the weather here will never change. I am trying to dress like it is actually Fall, I mean, it is October -- while everyone else is still wearing capris and sandals. :/ Hope you are having a good week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. M is still wearing shorts during the warm days - but I can't bring myself to wear capris any more. It doesn't seem appropriate somehow.

      Hope your weather cools down soon!

      Delete
  11. Your trees are gorgeous, ours won't change color for another month or so, and the live oaks won't change at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I always picture Georgia as being more temperate than that ... but you do get a real autumn and winter too. (Just not the piles of snow.)

      :)

      Delete
  12. The colours of the leaves are truly amazing - we just don't get such a wonderful display in this part of the world - not enough of the right sort of trees!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pomona - they still amaze me, even after 20 years here.

      Delete
  13. You have such wonderful colours already and we have to wait a little longer here! I love the red oak leaves and the reflection in the water! What a beautiful season this is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. The rest of that oak tree was still bright green. Just one spot of red, and a glorious red it was.

      Delete
  14. Drool, drool. We get touches of red, but never this much! That's OUTSTANDING!!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I want yarn that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love yarn that colour too. If only Nature would open a yarn-dying studio! :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....